Volume 10, Issue 7 
July 2019


Our monthly newsletter addresses consumer insurance topics as well as timely information on issues affecting senior citizens in Louisiana.


To find out if Consumer Advocacy will be in your area or to request a speaker for your organization or group, call (225) 219-0619 or send an email to: consumeradvocacy@ldi.la.gov

Upcoming Events  

SHIIP and COAST 2019 Medicare Counseling

Date: July 17, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
Location: Slidell Senior Center
610 Cousin Street, Slidell, LA

Licensed Claims Adjuster Workshop

Date: August 8, 2019
Time: 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.
Location: University of Louisiana at Monroe
700 University Avenue, Stubbs Hall Room 117

Free Seminar on Social Security, Retirement, and Medicare

Date: August 8, 2019
Time: 10:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m. Social Security Session
11:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
Medicare Session
Location: West Side Regional Library
5416 Provine Place, Alexandria



View Louisiana's Open Meetings Law on the legislative website by clicking here.

Check Your Coverage

The summer season is a peak time for vacation but before you grab your sunglasses and sunscreen review your insurance needs. If you're renting a property or exchanging homes with another family this summer, your homeowners insurance policy might extend to the property where you'll be staying. Generally, as a renter you are not responsible for damages caused by unavoidable accidents, such as faulty plumbing. However, there are circumstances where you could be considered partially responsible for damages due to negligence, and you may be expected to pay for them.

Personal belongings you take on vacation - such as a laptop, camera or clothing - are generally covered by your primary homeowners policy. Read your homeowners policy before going out of town so that you know if there is a maximum amount it pays for a loss. If you don't feel you have enough insurance for the belongings you plan to take, you may consider additional or temporary personal property coverage.

Homeowners insurance for a secondary home can have significantly different terms than your primary home's insurance policy. How a secondary property is used and how often it is occupied during the year determines the type of coverage. Insurance for these properties is typically written on a "named perils" basis. A "named perils" policy covers losses for events specifically outlined in the policy, such as lightning, explosion, theft or smoke damage.


4th of July

Fourth of July Safety

More fires are reported on the Fourth of July than any other day, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Grills are a leading cause of structure fires, and a grease fire or burn from a grill could land you in the emergency room. If you barbecue:

  • Cook outdoors in a ventilated area
  • Place grill far away from home or other structures so sparks and flames don’t ignite siding
  • Never leave a burning fire unattended

Before you light fireworks, make sure you understand your home insurance policy on whether you are covered. Your homeowners insurance policy won’t cover damage or injuries:

  • If it’s illegal to use fireworks in your parish
  • If you intentionally set fire to your home using a firecracker
  • If your neighbor’s fireworks start a blaze in your home (their policy should cover)

Always check with your insurance agent or company and review your policy.


Medicare graphic

FAQ’s: Medicare

How do I enroll in Medicare? Is it automatic when I turn 65?

Contact Social Security directly before your 65th birthday to avoid a lapse in health coverage. Early retirees receiving Social Security and those with Social Security disability or Railroad Retirement benefits are automatically enrolled in Medicare upon eligibility.

When do I have to enroll?

The initial enrollment period is a 7-month window around your 65th birthday. After that, you can still enroll, but you may have to wait for a designated period.

What if I’m still working and have insurance? Do I need to enroll at age 65?

If you are working past age 65 and have insurance from your job, or your spouse’s job, you should contact your plan and review how your coverage will change first.

What does Medicare cover?

It covers a wide range of medically necessary screenings, supplies and procedures. For more information go to www.mymedicarematters.org/coverage/.




Stay Connected with the LDI

Keep up with tips and news from the LDI, including newsletters, press releases and videos, by connecting with us through social media.

facebook  Like linkedin  Connect

twitter  Follow

youtube Subscribe


Office of Consumer Advocacy
(225) 219-0619 or (800) 259-5300

P.O Box 94214

Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9214